Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Make Me a Metaphor

I am a terrible poet. Horrible, horrible, horrible. While I thoroughly enjoy reading poetry, I have absolutely no talent for writing it. That aside, this was a journaling exercise I found quite amusing and actually enjoyed writing.

Just for the few of you out there that might not know exactly what a metaphor is, I'll provide the Dictionary.com (The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy) definition:

metaphor
The comparison of one thing to another without the use of like or as: “A man is but a weak reed”; “The road was a ribbon of moonlight.” Metaphors are common in literature and expansive speech.


Create a list of metaphors that describe you. Use metaphors to describe your current self, your state of mind, your past, your future, etc. Do not limit your number of metaphors. Write only in metaphors until you fill you have completely and accurately described yourself. (Example: My future is a blank sheet of paper, unlimited possibilities that lay under the control of my hand. )

Good luck and best writing!

~Cookie

3 comments:

  1. Now I have to start thinking. I like this challenge.
    BTW I really like the Eats, shoots and leaves comment you left. That comma sure makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! That's been one of my favorite jokes, and I really think only other grammar nuts find it as hilarious as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog you have here. Also love the design. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete