Saturday, May 15, 2010

Wacky and Wild

Hello, ladies and gents! I'm about to head out of town for a few days on a tiny vacation with my family, but I wanted to leave you an entertaining journal activity to work on before I left. This idea I've drawn from an absolutely charming book I received as a gift called The Sacred Sisterhood of Wonderful Wacky Women by Suzy Toronto (be sure to check it out at http://www.suzytoronto.com/ ). In the book, Toronto has created beautiful and bright illustrations of "wacky" women without faces (to ensure that you can picture what the woman would look like for yourself). To top it off, accompanying each drawing is a sweet poem describing the character and personality of that particular woman. They are each based off of friends the author actually knows, but that everyone can identify a particular friend with.

To give an example - the poem "She Who Has a Great Attitude" begins:
"The way she sees it,
If you want rainbows,
You gotta have rain.
So she pulls up her bootstraps
In the storm
And goes out looking
For puddles to play in."

(Here is a link to the illustration and full text of the poem - http://www.3wackywomen.com/files/1617020/uploaded/WD8104.jpg_

It is now your job to think of the friends you surround yourself and their wonderfully wacky traits. Male or female, pick one or even a few to write your own poems about. Do not be concerned with the form of your poetry, but focus instead on vividly describing the characteristics that make this friend unique to you. Title your poem(s) "She/He who is....." and finish the title appropriately. For an even more creative experience, make your own wacky illustration of what this friend looks like. After you have finished, write a short description of how you came to know your friend, some of the things you share, and why this person is important to you.

Good luck and best writing!

~Cookie

3 comments:

  1. Hey there-
    Your profile does not consist of an email or anything so I decided the best way to contact you would be through commenting on your post. I love your blogs, I think that it is GREAT that you take the time out for other people and create blog topics. I had a question though, and I thought you would be the best person to answer it. As a response to YOUR blog, would it better to answer the questions in a journal, a blog, or a word document? I like typing a whole lot better, but a journal I will never lose and forget about. But writing takes a longer time. And I may not have internet at some point, so I won't be able to use a blog, but I could use a word document...but not everyone will be able to see my ideas without a blog. Please let me know!? Thank you so much...for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question! I've always believed it's just a personal preference. Personally, I like the feel of a real journal simply because I can hold it in my hand and flip through pages to see what I wrote. It's also convenient if you would want to add things such as pictures, movie stubs, drawings, etc. I also like having different possibilities for how i will make my entry - such as will I use my fountain pen? markers? crayons? It adds a little fun to the writing process for me. If you are more comfortable typing in a word document, then that may be the direction you want to head. I would love to be able to do that myself, but I know that I wouldn't be able to keep up with it. I like to add a little more "artistic flair" as I call it to my entries, which I personally couldn't achieve in a word document. Ultimately, the choice is yours. It's important to pick a method you are going to be comfortable with, otherwise if you dislike the method you will forget about keeping up with writing. Thank you for your question! I hope that helped to answer it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you're right. I would probably keep up with it more if it was something I could hold, like a journal. That's what I will go with. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete